Brushgrove is situated at the southern end of Woodford Island. Woodford Island covers 37 square kilometres, is the largest inland island in the southern hemisphere, and the largest inland island in the world with its own mountain range.
Brushgrove is a just one kilometre off the highway and is a great place for travellers to stop for a quality country meal or an overnight stay at the friendly local hotel.
If you want a unique holiday of Clarence River exploring, the only houseboat operator in the Clarence Valley is located at Brushgrove.
The following historical text was given by the Brushgrove Hotel:
Woodford Island was one of the first places inhabited by Europeans on the Far North Coast. Originally settled for the abundance of red cedar on the island, Brushgrove was once a major trading hub for timber, sugar and other agricultural goods due to its location on the Clarence River.
By the turn of the nineteenth century the village supported eight shops, three blacksmiths, a saddler, livery stable, two restaurants, two hotels, a hospital, two doctors, auctioneers, carriers and a post/telegraph office, police station and three churches.
In the early 1900s Brushgrove thrived with businesses such as a bakery, butcher shop, bank and establishment of a school. A two-storey department storey (Henderson's) was built close to a wharf, and was the largest business in the village.
With the establishment of roads, trucks and other vehicles became the "new" way of transporting goods and the river trade declined, with the result that most of the businesses in the village closed.
Access to and from the island was by rowing boat from Brushgrove to Cowper. The rowing boat left from Kearns Hotel across to Cowper and was later replaced by a ferry from the slip near the Brushgrove Hotel across the south arm.
In 1958 land was acquired from the Brushgrove Hotel to allow the building of the Wingfield Bridge allowing vehicle transport to and from the island. Today the village is served by only one hotel, that being the Brushgrove Hotel.
The Brushgrove Hotel was built in 1868 as a single storey building and is situated on the banks of the Clarence River. Originally the hotel contained a sample room and a billiard room at the back of the hotel. The sample room is no longer but the billiard room was moved across the road to provide a residence for the then licensee, William Russell and still exists as a private residence today.