The Clarence Canoe & Kayak Trail
Welcome to The Clarence Canoe & Kayak Trail – the longest white water trail in Australia! It covers more than 195 km of river between the Nymboi-Binderay National Park and the township of Copmanhurst encompassing the Nymboida, Mann and Clarence river systems. It offers spectacular scenery, an abundance of wildlife and some exhilarating whitewater adventure!
Degree of difficulty
The Clarence Canoe & Kayak Trail is not a beginners’ river! It is a grade 2-3 whitewater trail with some sections containing rapids of grade 4 difficulty. There are also three COMPULSORY portages for all paddlers: one at Nymboida Weir (refer to Section 2 Trip Detail); and one each at Rainbow Falls and Willow Tree Falls in The Gorge (refer to Section 6 Trip Detail). The low-level bridges at Cangai (refer Section 5 Trip Detail) and Lilydale (refer to Section 7 Trip Detail) are also likely to be COMPULSORY portages for all paddlers at all except very low river levels. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that paddlers with novice or intermediate skill levels also portage: Cunglebung Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and New Zealand Falls – all grade 4 rapids; and Demolition Derby – a technical Grade 3 rapid (refer to Section 4 Trip Detail) for safety reasons.
Here are a list of tour operators and hirers:
Below are the PDFs of the Clarence Canoe & Kayak Trail Map Kit that you can download:
- Canoe_and_Kayak_full.pdf 18.8mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_full-low_res.pdf 4.7mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Index_Map.pdf 2.3mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_1.pdf 2.5mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_2.pdf 2.9mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_3.pdf 2.7mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_4.pdf 2.6mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_5.pdf 2.7mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_6.pdf 2.5mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_7.pdf 2.9mb
- Canoe_and_Kayak_Section_8.pdf 2.5mb
- Adobe PDF Reader required, download it here...
For those looking for a physical copy of the Clarence Canoe & Kayak Trail, the Water Resistant Map Kit is available for sale from the Clarence Valley Information Centre in Grafton ($20).